Saturday, December 13, 2008

The "WITH" Factor

Everyone who knows me well knows that I am a huggy person. My family has long joked that I am like a puppy. They say that when I see someone I know, my tail starts wagging. Back when I could walk well in my healthier state, my family would see my tail winding up at my sighting someone, and they would always know I was about to barrel someone over with a hug.

Despite the fact that I like giving and being on the receiving end of hugs, something unusual happened to me, a number of months ago, through which I have been growing a lot. I had been hurting, and didn't feel like being hugged or held by anyone, including God. I had already learned to come to Him and rest in Him, snuggle into His arms from time to time. But during this time, I was pulling away from letting God hold me.

During this time, I was taken by surprise when all of a sudden I felt God holding me. I didn't feel His arms physically around me, but I felt Him wrap His arms around my soul. A huge warmth filled me, and my soul was stilled. I was overwhelmed by a huge relief. If I remember right, this happened about three times. Each time I thought I didn't want to draw near to Him like that. But each time, I discovered it was exactly what I wanted.

Since then, I've been purposely coming to Him to let myself sink into His arms, more than ever before. I've also realized that every time I come to Him to be held, He ALWAYS holds me. Everything I described above, being stilled, the warmth, the relief, He gives me each time. I don't know how He does it, but I feel Him draw me so close. It's like He's just waiting for me to come to Him.

This has presented for me some questions. I want more of this. Even though I am working on coming to His arms over and over throughout each day, how else can I experience a more intimate relationship with God? How else can I draw near to Him and how should it effect my entire life differently?

As I have been continuing to call out to God to teach me about these things, these questions have been exciting me with answers! I have been learning about the "with" factor. Take for example the city sidewalk scenario. The sidewalks are bustling with people. People are often walking next to you or standing around you, waiting for the light to change at a corner. But those people walking next to you are not walking with you. Your friend that you are going to that coffee place with is walking with you. So, what does it mean for someone to be walking with you? It means that you are sharing the moment together. You don't have to speak to do this, though conversation is one way.

I've been learning to share the moment with God, by observing the functional relationships in my life. In these friendships, I enjoy getting to rejoice along with people in their joys and hurt with them through their pain. I can also come to these friends in my excitement or struggles, and have the joy of them sharing in these things with me. So, I've been practicing more of coming to God with my hopes, fears, passions, brokenness and joys. I silently bring these things to Him, knowing that He is hurting with me, He is excited with me. I experience these things along with Him.

I am also working on intimately rejoicing with God in what He has joy about, grieving with God in what grieves Him, being excited with God about what He gets excited about and sharing with Him in His passions.

I have also been striving more to come to God as I am, in my sin, doubts and embarrassing parts of me. Instead of shying away from Him in these things, I've been making an effort to experience these things with Him more, remembering that He cares about those things and has compassion about those things, too.

In Hebrew, Immanuel means "God is with us." The Immanuel came the first Christmas and pursued us all the way to the cross. God is still pursuing us. God is always with us. How much are we with Him?

5 comments:

Melinda said...

What a thoughtful post, Nina!

April said...

Hi Christina,

You don't know me (yet...), but I know a little about you and have been getting to know your Mom a little through email. I'm in choir with your Dad too.

I realize I'm a little late to the party to comment on this posting but I really appreciated what you are saying here. I too am a hugger, for one thing...big time hugger, snuggler, hand holder...I just crave literal human contact. It's something that I've often come to God with telling Him how much I long to have Him hold me, to FEEL His touch. I often feel Him draw near to me, but I think He also sends me "Jesus with some skin on" sometimes when I need it most.

The other thing I really related to in this post was the walking WITH someone. I have some big mental health issues that sometimes bring me to a screeching halt in my life. Sunday morning Barbara Feil came and sat with me in church. It surprised me (in a good way) as I'm usually alone. I loved having her there WITH me. But even beyond that she told me that she could see that I've been experiencing some peace in my life, but she understood it wasn't over by any means. She said, "I know there are still going to be a lot of ups and downs, but I want you to know we are here to walk through them WITH you." I don't think I'll ever forget that moment.

So, don't lose heart Christina. I know that there are a lot of people at SPC who care very much about you. I hope that I will be able to meet you someday too. And keep writing...

Dave T. said...

Christina, hey I was wondering if I could use part of this post in an article/post I'm working on. I've been thinking about the different ways we connect with God and your post caputres an angle I've been looking for. If not, I totally understand. Let me know either way--Thanks! dt

Dave T. said...

Christina, thanks again for letting me use a portion of your post. I linked to you and gave you credit. I hope that God continues to show his faithfulness in your life. Grace and peace! dt (you can see my post at www.davetilma.org )

Unknown said...

I've been thinking a lot lately of how lucky I and the rest of humanity is for having a God that genuinely cares for each of us. It is so easy for me to think of a reality in which God could have made us and then walked away, or selected a few people to love, and done away with the rest. It is awesome to know that He will always be there for me no matter how long I or how far I try to distance myself from Him.